A Brief History of the School
On 28 November, 1957, the Executive Committee of the Provincial Government of Transvaal approved the establishment of an Afrikaans- medium school in the Koedoespoort area of the Moot. This decision would influence the lives of thousands of children for decades to come.
Many locations were considered before the building of the school could begin and many obstacles had to be taken into consideration, like student safety and the busy Hardy- Muller Circle, construction difficulties and an old cemetery. The final area, as we know it today, allocated to the school was only finalized in 1966, when the area where the tennis courts are located was donated by South African Railways.
On the 30 th of June, 1961, eight staff members reported for duty at Hoërskool Koedoespoort, under leadership of Mr. J.P. Malan, the acting principal. The planned school building, however, was not yet completed and the school was without a coat of arms, anthem or official colours.
On 23 January, 1962, the school was informed that its name would change to the full office title, initials and surname of the first president of the Republic of South Africa. With permission of Mr. C.R. Swart, the shield of the Swart family's coat of arms was incorporated into the school's new coat of arms, which was officially registered in August, 1962.
On the 25 th of October, 1962, the State President visited the school, which was named after him, for the first time. This was the beginning of a very personal relationship between him and the school. He also donated a chèque for R100.
On the 30 th of October, 1965, staff and students entered the new premises of the school, located next to Kamasis Street, right across Fry Street. Mr. C.R. Swart also attended for the revealing of the commemorative plaque. 750 parents and 550 learners attended the ceremony.
Copyright @ Crswart. Created by J.Bosch